Current location: London, UK
I am a marketing professional with a passion for digital marketing and new technology. I did a PhD in marketing, focusing on how to elicit more engagement on Facebook Fan pages, from a social influence perspective. Want to know more? Just ask.
I work as Lecturer in Marketing at Henley Business School, where I research on Facebook fan page engagement, mobile advertising, e-commerce and social CRM. If you are interested in collaborating in any of these areas from an academic or industry perspective please get in touch.
I sometimes write for The Intelligent SME magazine and cover tech events. I’ve been involved in several online projects, the two latest ones are (1) Pro-Counselling, an innovative EAP that provides counselling support to employees through an online platform; and (2) It’s not you, it’s your data , an academic blog with some articles featured in the Times Higher Education website.
- Perez-Vega, R.; Taheri, B.; Farrington, T.; and O’Gorman, K (under review). On being attractive, social and visually appealing in social media: The effects of anthropomorphic tourism brands on Facebook fan pages.
- Gannon, M., Baxter, I., Collinson, E., Curran, R., Farrington, T., Glasgow, S., Godsman, E., Gori, K., Jack, G., Lochrie, S., Maxwell-Stuart, R., MacLaren, A., MacIntosh, R., O’Gorman, K., Ottaway, L., Perez-Vega, R., Taheri, B., Thompson, J., & Yalinay, O. (Forthcoming). Travelling for Umrah: Destination attributes, destination image, and post-travel intentions, The Service Industry Journal, 37, 7-8.
- Perez-Vega, R.; Waite, K.; and O’Gorman, K. (2016). Social Impact Theory: an examination of how immediacy operates as an influence upon social media interaction in Facebook Fan pages. The Marketing Review, 16, 4.
Marketing and business magazines
- Lages. C. and Perez-Vega, R. (2017). A consumer-centric approach to the customer journey. five: the bulletin for marketing communications: Issue 11: 10-11.
- Perez-Vega, R. (2017). Is social media transforming the elections? Henley News: 6 Jun 2017.
- Leland, I. and Perez-Vega, R. (2017). Tips on developing a mobile app for your business. The Intelligent SME, February: 46-49.
- Perez-Vega, R. (2017). Blue Monday, fact, fiction or purely marketing opportunity. Henley News: 16 Jan 2017
- Portilla, M. and Perez-Vega, R. (2016). Uncovering online brand communities. The Intelligent SME, December: 40-43.
- Krejca, L. and Perez-Vega, R. (2016). Performance Marketing: Is Your Agency Ticking the Right Boxes? The Intelligent SME, October: 30-31
- Perez-Vega, R. (2016).Social Influence Marketing Boosts Your Business. The Intelligent SME, August: 36-37.
- Perez-Vega, R. and Hopkinson, P. (2016). Building customer relationships one tweet at a time. The Intelligent SME, April: 42-43.
- Portilla Irastorza, M. and Perez-Vega, R. (2017). Exploring motivations to engage in online brand communities: a comparative analysis (EMAC).
- Nadeem, S., Rodriguez, L. and Perez-Vega, R. (2015). A scale of hindrance in mobile in-app advertising. The International Conference on Organization Management (ICOM).
- Ashraf, S. and Perez-Vega, R. (2015). Insight into Dubai’s Generation Y Online Shopping Behaviour: Exploring the Limitations of the Technology Acceptance Model with the Digital Natives. The International Conference on Organization Management (ICOM).
- Perez-Vega, R.; Waite, K.; and O’Gorman, K. (2014) The Influence of brand immediacy in consumer engagement behaviours: a revised social impact model. Doctoral Colloquium Academy of Marketing.
Awards: Best Literature Review – Academy of Marketing Doctoral Colloquium 2014
- Waite, K. and Perez-Vega, R. (2017). Essentials of Digital Marketing
- Perez-Vega, R. and Waite, K. (2016). “Digital media and marketing interactivity” in Marketing Communications (Eds.) G. Bell, B. Taheri and Angelelli. Woodeaton: Godfellow Publishers.
- Jubb, D., Zakaria, L., Gori, K., and Perez-Vega, R. (2016). Data Sources from Archives to the Internet in Research Methods for Accounting and Finance (Eds.) A. Patterson, D. Leung, W. Jackson, R. Macintosh, and K. O’Gorman. Woodeaton: Goodfellow Publishers.
- Gori, K. and Perez-Vega, R. (2015). “From Archives to the Internet” in Research Methods for Business and Management (2nd Ed.) K. O’Gorman and R. Macintosh. Woodeaton: Godfellow Publishers.
- Gori, K. and Perez-Vega, R. (2014). “Working with historical and contemporary data sources” in Research Methods for Business and Management (Eds.) K. O’Gorman and R. Macintosh. Woodeaton: Godfellow Publishers.
- Gough, O. (2017). Technology not improving workplace productivity. Business Matters Magazine
- Associate Member IoD
- Affiliate Professional CIM
- Associate Fellow Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
July 2017 – “Principles of Marketing” Oxford Summer Seminars
April 2016- “A scientific pespective to fan paga engagement” – Social Media Summit.
March 2016 – “The science of marketing: How applying research in marketing can improve the SME business?” – SME World Summit (workshop)
March 2016- “UAE Inter-School Business Challenge” (Competition organiser)
January 2016 – “UAE Inter-School Business Simulation Challenge” (Competition organiser)
Apr 2015 – “UAE Inter-School Business Challenge” (Competition organiser)
May 2014 – “Designing a digital marketing plan for SMEs” (workshop)
May 2014 – “7 ways to improve your digital marketing presence” (conference)
Sept 2014- “Assessment and development of a digital marketing strategy” (Private training with the regional marketing team of World Vision LATAM).
Marketing ExperienceDigital Marketing and Brand Management
2016 (Jul) – to date Henley Business School, UK. Lecturer in Digital Marketing.
-Curriculum design and delivery of lectures in Digital Marketing and Marketing Communications at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
-Supervision of dissertations.
Engagement with industry:
-Liaise with leading marketing practitioners to generate collaboration opportunities with students and for research opportunities.
-Guest writer at The Intelligent SME Magazine.
-Speaker at the Social Media Summit and Social Media Workshops.
2014 (Oct) – 2016 (Jul) Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus, UAE Marketing / Assistant Professor in Marketing & Programme Director for the MSc. in International Marketing Management with Digital Marketing
Heriot-Watt is one of the UK’s leading universities for business and industry and has a reputation for innovative education, enterprise and leading edge research in science, business, engineering and design. To know more about HWU and its rankings, please visit this link. Main responsibilities:
- Deliver marketing courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Provide supervision to research projects.
- Engage in the creation of scholar artefacts in the field of marketing.
2010 (Aug)- 2015 (Aug) MCG Digital Marketing, UK Marketing / Head of Digital Marketing
MCG Digital Marketing is an agency that caters for the digital needs of small businesses in the UK, France, Spain and South America. With clients in the FMCG, fashion and Professional Service industries, MCG manages their online presence and digital marketing activities to help them reach their business objectives. Main responsibilities: -Become the key point of contact for the client in all their digital activities. -Responsible for managing the multi-channel marketing campaigns. -Development of strategy and online marketing communication plans for companies in the education, event management, fashion and fundraising sector: ROI ranging between 52.3% up to 161% depending on industry sector and length of campaigns. -Extensive experience developing marketing communication campaigns and advising other departments on SEO, SEM and SMM. -Conversion rate optimisation experience via A/B and MVT testing. -SEO keyword optimisation, PPC keyword optimisation. -Developing and presenting bids for new clients. -Management of budgets. -Management experience leading a multi-disciplinary team (account executives for UK and Spain, community managers for Spain and France, and graphic designer) to ensure the adequate implementation of marketing plans. -Encourage involvement of the team during the full projects delivery cycle.
2006 (Sep) – 2008 (Aug)
Kellogg Company, Querétaro, MEXICO
Marketing / Assistant Brand Manager
Kellogg Company is one of the Top 100 most valuable brands according to Forbes Magazine. The company has a well-established portfolio of brands for kids and adults, and is present in more than 160 countries.
-Development of brand strategy and planning: brand growth of 27% vs. year ago in net sales.
-Plan and execute brand’s marketing plan.
-Responsible for launching 3 in&outs and 1 line extension into the Mexican market.
-Overseeing the implementation of both qualitative and quantitative research for concept testing, post-test and modelling impact of marketing activities on sales.
-Development of TV communication and printed communication.
-Management of Advertising and Promotion budgets.
Education & Qualifications
PhD, MRes, MSc., B.A. (Hons)
Heriot-Watt University (UK)
PhD in Marketing (Digital Marketing/Social Media)
The focus of my research is the development of a model of social influence on customer engagement behaviours in social media websites. Through a series of experiments, I have identified different forms of brand immediacy that affect these behaviours, and that can help businesses improve the results that they achieve when in social media.
Sept. 2008 – Jun.2010
Politecnico di Milano (Italy)/ Umeå University (Sweden)
MSc. Strategic Project Management (Distinction)/ Msc. Management
-The programme focuses on giving an understanding of issues implementing strategy through projects. It also provides extensive training on project management tools and approaches to manage large projects.
-Main subjects: Project management, risk management and risk assessment, strategy.
Research area for dissertation: Knowledge Integration in Consulting Firms.
Aug. 2002 – Dec. 2006
B.A. Marketing (Distinction)
-Market research project for the International Airport of Queretaro on regional travelling behaviours that support a business expansion for low-fare airlines in the airport of Queretaro.
-Market research to regional chocolate manufacturer to identify the most appropriate distribution channels.
Language Skills (English)
Language Skills (French)